Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Path

Remember when you were a kid and on the playground with 30 other little kids. All the moms would shout stuff to their kids and it was all just background noise to you and your playing. Then your mom would call to you and you would hear it. Suddenly amidst all the noise and distraction, that one voice came shining through, no matter where you were or what you were doing. That one voice always got to you. You would drop everything and come running.

When we grow up it’s harder to hear the voices. We ignore them or pretend we don’t hear them, especially when it is inconvenient. Still one voice has always seemed to find me no matter where I go, year after year. Sometimes I hide from it or distract myself but I never seem to get away. Then sometimes, the best times, I run straight to the voice with arms wide open. My guide. I know it is just pushing me to be a better person, to live up to my potential, to realize everything, seize what is worth having and fill everyday with happiness. And yet, sometimes I feel like I’m already doing everything right. Like he would be proud of me. You laid down the path so I just needed to walk it. I heard the call, smeared war paint on my cheeks and rose to be the Walden Girl. HDT I wouldn’t be me without you.

“Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.” -Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google