Monday, January 09, 2006

The Most Horrific Sacrilege (too horrible for Chapter Black)


Let’s talk about Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here,” an irreverent song to be sure but the most soulful expression of loneliness and the desperation that comes from forced separation from a loved one. From the first haunting notes, guitar piercing the silence your mood is changed for you, resistance is futile. The evocative melody alternately lifts your heart with hope then dives deep into grief. The haunting refrain then crushes your heart as if a fist had pierced your chest and was forcibly squeezing your life away. This is the deeper essence of music, that ability to truly express a thought or feeling so universally that it is understood in every breath, every word, every beat, every chord.
I was at my second job the other day and happily listening to my new IPOD (Which I have named “Chapter Black” (which refers to a video mix of sorts illustrating the darkness and pure evil of the human soul.)) So I just uploaded everything in my computer and hit “shuffle.” Mind you, I just plugged my computer in last week for the first time since March so I have absolutely no idea what is going to come on. I am pleasantly surprised, starting out with Frou Frou, moving to Sneaker Pimps, then Our Lady Peace’s “Life.” Now “Life” is one of those songs that makes you reflect hard on your life. I was engaged in such musings when the tune came to an end. Next I heard those unmistakable opening notes that could only be “Wish You Were Here.” I was surprised to hear a different voice start singing, but hey I appreciate a good cover.
This song was and forever will be my song with Chris my best friend from waning high school days. He introduced me to it and it became his anthem as the path he went down was one I could not follow. When someone you love with your whole heart is out of reach, it creates this endless chasm inside, this desperate yearning that is so succinctly captured in “Wish You Were Here.” So the song is playing in my IPOD and everything in my view disappears and I pull into the song. I start thinking about Chris of course, but I also let my thoughts travel to another loved one who I have been fiending for like a junkie needs heroin. I was just lost in the complete bliss that blinding pain, sheer regret and personal torture can bring. A sort of elevation happens when you’re down so low in a pit - knowing what you want and who you love will always be out of your reach. I was wrapped in the arms of a sweet agony/ecstasy when all the sudden I was riveted back to awareness. The lyrics to the songs were changed. More then that, they were unspeakably HORRIBLE!!! The whole song is a desperate yearning for a loved one who is forever out of reach. In this, Limp Bizkit version, the fucking missing loved one shows up! I swear to God, they show up and it had a goddamned happy ending! I swear to you I could not make this up. There are so many disgusting things about humanity. Hell, that’s where Chapter Black got it’s name, but this is just an unforgivable perversion. At this moment, I felt a piece of myself die. I swear a lot of bad things have happened to me and I never, ever say that but this really did it. Fight Club teaches us that losing all hope is freedom. That’s what I was feeling – completely and utterly lost in the face of a situation where I am truly powerless. Acceptance of this utter disillusionment and the fact that I completely failed these two that I loved and who loved me greater then I deserved. With the melancholy twang of the guitar I felt all possibility fade into nothingness. This song always brings me here. Truly it is liberating. You become totally beaten and defeated. Having no more moves, you aren’t pressured with choices or consequences. There is no need for worry, trying, second guessing. You are finally free. Losing all hope is freedom.
So I am finally free, and then this stupid ass cover brings back their person who is out of reach and shoves it in your face. THEN this person goes and brings a comfort that you know you’re never going to feel. Listening to this shit makes you feel dizzy, nauseas, disoriented. Pain, loss, weakness, cowardice, these are all things we can understand and accept. Then they try to take this away from you by raising the bar to an unrealistic standard. “Oh, I didn’t fuck up as much as you because my loved one came back and yours never will.” Fuck your loved one and fuck you Limp Bizkit. You fucking suck. Obviously you didn’t get the point of that song and clearly you never will. Also I hope your tour bus crashes and you all die but no one burns your bodies and as your loved ones are mourning for you, they play your shitty ass cover of “Wish you were here” and like your version of the song says the loved one (you) really does fucking show up except this time you’re zombies and you eat all their stupid brains. Then real Floyd fans find out that you’re eating brains and douse you with gasoline and light you on fire and you and your loved ones die like one. That is the only justice.

These are the horrific lyrics (proceed with caution.)
Wish You Were Here (I wish they wouldn’t call it that)
So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from hell
Blues skies from pain
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail
A smile from a vail
Do you think you can tell
So, do you think we can change
Everybody that hates
Before it's too late
So proud to be free
But who can we blame
Don't be ashamed
Do you think we can change
How I wish
How I wish you were here
We're one lost soul swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
What have we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here
We don't need
Need anymore pain
We just need to remain on the very same page
So much to gain
No more losing a friend
We're losing ourselves
We just need your help
So glad you're here
So glad you're here

2 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Actions and Consequences said...

This is why Paul was affraid of you.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Actions and Consequences said...

I'm quick to vendetta!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google